Samfaina with Olive Oil
Ingredients (8 pax)
• ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain
• 1 medium Yellow onion, diced small
• 1 Red bell pepper diced small
• 1 Green bell pepper diced small
• 1 Tomato, #10 can, diced que significa #10?
• 1 Eggplant peeled and diced small
• 1 tsp. Sweet pimenton
• 4-5 Basil leaves chopped
1. Pour half the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain in a large sauté pan or clay cassola over medium heat, when hot, about 2-3 minutes, add the onions, cook slowly cover until half done, about 10 minutes.
2. Add both bell peppers and stir, cover and cook slowly almost simmering for about 10 more minutes until the peppers start to get soft, then add the tomatoes and stir frequently otherwise they will burn.
3. Meanwhile, while this is cooking, in another sauté pan add the rest of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain over medium heat when hot, 2-3 minutes, add the diced eggplant and sauté until firm and crisp, remove from the pan and set aside. This will be added to the samfaina 10 minutes before the end of the cooking process.
4. Keep an eye on the peppers making sure that as it reduces we add the rest of the liquid from the can or some water as needed,
5. Good samfaina requires at least 1 hour reduction, cook to the texture you like most, either soft like a marmalade or a bit chunkier, it all depends on the time you cook it before it is done. Add the pimenton just a few seconds before you turn the heat off otherwise is going to burn and become bitter.
6. When cool add the sliced basil and stir all together.